Request a new feature

Don't rasterize the documents -- preserve searchable text and vector graphics

Currently, HelloSign appears to be rasterizing the user's PDF documents and converting them to images. After the document goes through HelloSign, the text in the PDF is no longer searchable, vector graphics (such as logos) become badly pixelated, and the print quality is much lower that the original PDF -- all of that is bad!

Please keep the PDF files as-is, with fonts and vector graphics -- just add the text fields and signatures on top of the existing PDF.

114 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stas UshomirskyStas Ushomirsky shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • EthanEthan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm just evaluating services myself right now, and I did run into this here at HelloSign. The visual quality is acceptable for the file copy of a contract, in my opinion, but there are still the missing features to be concerned about: searchability and comparability.

My biggest gripe, however, is the size. My upload was a 7-page PDF weighing in at 284 kB. The executed PDF is 1.9 MB. I don't really want to archive a bunch of contracts of that size, if avoidable.

At the same time, I realize there is a security aspect of this design. A PDF that has not been reduced to images is editable. Perhaps I'd just like to be able to control the final size better; when I scan documents to PDF and optimize them with Acrobat I get the same quality in about half the file size.

• trishatrisha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. As a designer, everything I create is scrutinized. My squished-up PDFs reflect badly on my professionalism and skills.

• Steven MartinsSteven Martins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PandaDoc preserves searchable text and vector graphics. I've just tested both PandaDoc and HelloSign and while there are several features more polished on HelloSign, the conversion of documents to images by HelloSign is a road-block to me. Would love to use HelloSign instead of PandaDoc but until this issue is addressed I'm sticking with them.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is THE missing feature, without this business will not find the software useful.

• LeighLeigh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 this is a serious issue and isn't just aesthetic. It is a massive accessibility issue for those with disabilities and makes no sense that documents submitted become JPGs. Another issue is that it's impossible to compare documents before and after signing using Adobe.

Note: Other comparable services like EchoSign preserve text.

• Kate WillinkKate Willink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, pleasse address this. I've started trials with nearly every online-contract-signing service out there and only found disappointment. Finally, I found your service and was so excited to see what I needed- streamlined, professionally designed, and efficient. But then I come to find the actual contract itself, despite uploading a high quality PDF, ends up terrible quality and difficult to read! So sad!

Feedback and Knowledge Base