When you ask someone to sign a document, you can make sure the right person signs it with signer authentication. There are two kinds of authentication.
- SMS: when the signer gets the signature request email, they’re prompted to send a code to their phone. They must enter the code to access the document.
- Password: the sender sets a password that signers must use to access the file.
- The sender has to give this password to signers – it’s not included in the email request.
Add signer authentication to a request
To add signer authentication to a request:
- Follow the instructions to send a signature request on hellosign.com. Stop when you reach the Who needs to sign? page.
- Add the signer’s name and email address, then click ⁝ (vertical ellipsis) on the right.
- Click Add signer authentication.
- If you don’t see this option, your admin hasn’t enabled authentication. Learn more about how admins can manage signer authentication settings.
- Under Authentication method, you can choose:
- Access code: enter the code you’d like to give to the signer for document access.
- Text message: enter the signer’s mobile number.
- To add more signers, click Add another signer.
- To give each member their own code, you must repeat steps 2-4 for each recipient.