Conditional logic allows users to add an ‘if this, then that’ flow to their signature requests. By using conditional logic, requesters are able to make their signers’ experiences more personalised. There are two groups of fields that users will work with and need to bear in mind while setting up:
Trigger fields – the fields which will either show or hide additional fields when the signer fills them in. Fields that are able to be used as trigger fields are:
Tickbox (NOT grouped)
Selected fields – the fields that the user has selected to be shown and filled in or hidden based on the rule applied to the trigger field. Fields which are able to be used as selected fields:
Creating a rule
When preparing their signature requests, users will place their fields on the document and then choose the trigger field for which they’d like to create the rule. They can then choose the selected fields from those already placed on the document. So it’s important to remember that all fields involved in the conditional logic rule about to be made need to already be placed on the document. To get started, follow the steps below.
- Place both trigger fields and selected fields on the document.
- Click on the desired trigger field; in the right-hand side editor menu under ‘Conditional logic’ click on ‘Create rule’.
- The right-hand side editor menu will now appear: 'If the following is true...'. Follow the prompts depending on the type of trigger field selected. For example, if the trigger field is a tickbox, the prompt will populate a drop-down to select if the box is ticked or not ticked.
For a textbox, the prompt will populate a box for the users to enter in the text that will need to be entered to satisfy the rule.
- Once the ‘If the following is true’ rule has been created, users will need to select whether they want to ‘show’ or ‘hide’ their desired selected fields. To select the fields to show or hide, simply drag and drop over those fields; the system will highlight them as you are selecting them.
- Review the rule to ensure that everything is correct, then click “OK” in the upper right-hand corner.
When the signer fills in the trigger field with the proper information, ticks the box, picks from the drop-down menu or selects the radio button with the rule applied to it, the selected fields will either appear for the signer to fill in or be removed so the signer no longer needs to fill them in.
A few items to bear in mind