Send for signature with HelloSign using Dropbox
The Dropbox and HelloSign integration lets you send files for eSignature, or eSign files yourself, without leaving Dropbox. The signed files are saved automatically to your Dropbox account.
Connect Dropbox and HelloSign
When you send for a signature through Dropbox, you’ll be prompted to connect your Dropbox and HelloSign accounts and accept the Terms of Service. A free HelloSign account will be created with the email address you use for Dropbox. If you already have a HelloSign account with the same email address as your Dropbox account, the accounts will be connected. When your accounts are connected, you’ll also be able to sign in to HelloSign.com by clicking Sign in with Dropbox.
Send for a signature or sign a file
You can send a file in Dropbox for a signature or sign a file yourself.
To send for a signature or sign a file on dropbox.com and the desktop app:
- On dropbox.com, click the downward-facing arrow next to Share from any file. Then click Send for signature from the drop-down menu. On the desktop app, right-click any file and click Send for signature.
- Choose who needs to sign.
- If you’re the only signer, click I’m the only signer.
- If you’re not the only signer, type their name and email address in the box. To add more signers, click Add another signer. To add yourself as a signer, click Add me as a signer.
- To request an attachment from any signer, click the paperclip icon next to their email address.
- Drag and drop onto the document to add fields where the signer(s) will need to sign. Assign each field to a signer in the right sidebar.
- Note: Each signer must be assigned at least one non-date field before you can continue to the next step.
- Click Continue.
- Choose a file name and a Dropbox folder location for the signed copy of the file. The original file won’t be renamed or moved.
- Click Continue.
- Add anyone you’d like to be copied on your email or an email message.
- Click Send for signature to confirm and send for signature.
Once your signed files are complete, you and all signers will receive email confirmations. Your signed files are saved automatically back to your Dropbox account in the location you chose for that file and in your connected HelloSign account. If you delete a signed file from either Dropbox or HelloSign, it’ll still be saved on the other.
In Dropbox, while a file is waiting to be signed, an in-progress PDF version of the file is saved in the location you chose and will be called “[file name] (in-progress).pdf”. Once the file has been signed, that file is replaced with a new, signed PDF file named “[file name] (signed).pdf”.
File types and sizes
Single files uploaded to be signed can’t exceed 40 MB or 500 pages. Visit the HelloSign Help Centre for all supported file types and file sizes.
Limits and storage quotas
If the HelloSign account you connected to Dropbox is on the limited free plan (which is the default plan), you can make three document transactions per month. Find out more about the limited free plan and how to upgrade.
Signed files take up space on your Dropbox account. If you run out of space in your Dropbox account while a file is in progress (waiting for a signature), you’ll see an error message and the signed version of the file will only be saved on HelloSign.com and not in Dropbox. Find out how much storage space you have in your Dropbox account.
Admins: Manage the HelloSign integration for your team
Certain types of admins in Dropbox team accounts can turn the HelloSign integration on or off for their entire team.
To turn the integration on or off:
- Sign in to dropbox.com with your admin account.
- Click Admin console.
- Click Settings.
- Under Additional settings, click Send for signature.
- Toggle to On or Off.