To create a template, choose from Accounts, Contacts, Leads, or Opportunities (or any custom or standard object you have configured for use with ) on the Salesforce dashboard. Click on the "Use " button then select "Create a Template."
Step 1 - Create the template properties -- the name of the template, the source object, and how the template will be delivered
Step 2 - Upload the document of your choice
NOTE: If you are using text tags on your template, on the File Source option, select the option "File Attached to Record" (otherwise the text tags will not be recognized)
Step 3 - Define the signer roles and options for your template. On this page you can define options such:
- The roles that need to sign a document
- The recipient type
- Signer order (if you need to make sure that the document is signed by individuals in a specific order)
- Signer reassignment (allows the signer to reassign the request to another signer)
Step 4 - Select merge and writeback fields
With merge fields, you can include Salesforce data in your template. This data, when selected, will be mapped into your document either through the template editor or via text tags.
In this step, you can search or browse the list of available fields for merge. If writeback is also available, there will be a writeback toggle displayed in the row. The writeback feature allows signers to be able to edit these fields during the signature request process, and for their responses to be “written back” to the respective field in Salesforce.
Step 5 - Choose the document title and optional message that will be sent when using the template. In this step you also have the following options:
- Restrict users ability to modify the document title and/or message
- Skip the prepare screen, which will bypass the page in which users typically select recipients and add to the message
- Skip preview will bypass the document preview window where users can review the document and any merge data before sending it
Once you've completed all the steps, click on "Prepare Document." It will bring you to our editor, where you will be able to drag and drop fields according to your preference. When finished, click on "Continue" and "Save Template.”
NOTE: If you would like to know how to configure merge/writeback fields in the editor, please see this article: https://faq.hellosign.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038052432-Using-Writeback-Fields-.
The last step will be acknowledging that your template is ready. If you would like to use it straight away, click on "Publish.” If you still have a few modifications to make, you can select the option "Save as Draft.”