Building upon the ability to merge data, Dropbox Sign for Salesforce also allows the ability to “writeback” data into Salesforce for certain fields and under certain conditions (please see notes below). Signers will be able to edit these fields during the signature request process, with any entered data then being saved back to the Salesforce record.
You’ll know which fields are eligible for writeback because they will be marked with a slider (which can be toggled) on the right side of the Merge Fields view (Step 4) during template creation.
As with merge data fields, it is important to be sure to map each chosen writeback field onto the document as a textbox to avoid getting an “invalid custom field” error.
Additionally, when placing writeback textbox fields onto the document, be sure to leave the “Assigned To” as Sender (purple). This is because any initial data from the writeback field is provided by the Sender (i.e., Salesforce), even though the signer will still be able to enter data upon initiating the signature request. Changing the “Assigned To” field to the Signer (green) will cause the template to error.
Notes and tips:
- This feature is only available in templates for single signers or for the first signer in multi-signer requests that are in sequential order.
- Writeback supports text (excluding encrypted text) fields and checkbox fields.
- If Dropbox Sign is unable to make the update to the record as a result of a validation rule, process builder, or the field having been deleted, all writeback updates will fail. An error will be logged in the Dropbox Sign Logs. Please make sure that all writeback fields are available for update and will not be blocked by Salesforce logic.
- Please make sure that all chosen writeback fields are editable by the integration user, otherwise “is not editable” errors will be generated in Dropbox Sign Logs.
- Depending on the number of available merge and writeback fields there can be a slight delay between toggling the writeback slider and it reflecting in our modal. Clicking the slider twice can result in deselecting the field.