If you need to request sensitive information from a signer, you can mask fields in a document to hide the signers’ information. All masked fields will be replaced by asterisks on the signer page (unless the signer is directly editing that field) and the final PDF copy that is sent to all parties (the requester, the signers, and any individuals who've been CC'd).
How to mask a field
To mask a field, place a textbox field on your document and toggle Mask Typed Text to On in the right sidebar.
How to view masked data
To view masked data, download the document data as a CSV.
- By default, only admins can download document data as a CSV; however, senders can also download document data as a CSV if their admin allows it.
- If the signature request was sent via the API, the response data will need to be retrieved by an API call, rather than by downloading the document data as a CSV on hellosign.com.
Admins: Allow senders to download document data
If you’re an admin, you can choose whether or not to allow senders to download document data as a CSV. To manage this setting:
- Sign in to hellosign.com with your admin credentials.
- Hover over your email address in the top-right corner.
- Click Admin console.
- Click Settings in the left sidebar.
- Click Documents and templates in the left sidebar.
- Toggle Allow sender to download document CSV to on or off.